John and I recently celebrated 46 years of marriage. Over the years we’ve been to a lot of marriage conferences and spoken at over 60 ourselves. The conference that we are most excited about is Family Life’s “Weekend To Remember” marriage conference. We’ve been speaking with this extraordinary team for 18 years. (We are just one of many couples who speak.) Being a part of these conferences has had a huge, positive impact on our own marriage.
So what’s so unique about WTR’S? (“Weekend to Remembers”)
1. The speakers are funny and vulnerable.
There is no pretense and you can identify with so many of the stories told.
2. The conferences, which are biblically based, are friendly to folks of any faith or those of no faith.
(The gospel is clearly presented but in a winsome, attractive, thoughtful manner.)
3. My response in attending our first conference was, “These people make me feel normal! And they make me laugh!”
4. The speakers have a way of normalizing conflict while providing solid teaching and specific, practical takeaways.
5. These conferences are great “preventive medicine” for any marriage.
All 5 of our kids have been to one. We gave it to them as a part of their wedding package and asked them to attend sometime during their first 2 years of marriage. Now they recommend it to their friends. It’s easy to go in with someone else and give the conference as a wedding gift.
6. It’s a good opportunity to have a weekend away alone with your spouse.
There are no small groups so you don’t have to talk to anyone else!
7. These conferences are a great asset to the local church.
My husband is a Pastor and over the years we’ve probably sent over 300 couples to a WTR. (Churches can enroll to get group discounts.)
You can probably tell we are big on this conference.
If we invest in further education for our careers how much more important is investing in our marriage?
In the long run, it’s our kids and grandkids that will benefit.